My Five Worlds (2016)
The entry of Google technology in my life inspired this painting! It turns out that when I Googled my life, I saw there were five phases in my adult existence.
1. My teenage years in Washington, D.C., which I designed emanating from a central circle with roads spread like the sun’s rays . This was Dupont Circle. In my teenage days, many young people gathered there, including me. We met to discuss many things, particularly politics.
One of the roads extending out from Dupont Circle led almost directly to my parental home. On this road what was then called the “Alban Towers” is depicted. This was the first place where our family stayed on arriving in Washington, D.C. after our father’s reassignment there.
2. The second circle is that of Connaught Place in Delhi, now called Rajiv Chowk. This is the place where I first said yes to my love Satish and agreed to marry him. From this circle, roads spread out just like those in Washington. I symbolically placed my home on one of the rays spreading from the circle in miniature. On this road I drew small meaningful drawings of some milestone that I reached in my life. Each and every road and depiction can be directly related to my life experiences.
3. Shows a hilly area that is not just any place but is the area of Uttarakhand. A ray of spiritual light emerges from this area, which is also called Dev Bhoomi. The circular river of water running through Uttarakhand is the Holi River Ganga. l love this area so much that l built a house in Uttarakhand in the city of Mussoorie in the foothills of the Himalayas. My children studied in Mussoorie.
4. Shows the sea in Goa. This is a place that l have enjoyed for over 40 years and where l hope to spend at least part of my retirement to enjoy its positive energy, sense of fun, and artistic environment.
5. Shows Amsterdam to indicate my Dutch roots. This is a place that my family and I love and reminds us of our parents and roots.